Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Little Things Add Up

It's Day 26 of my endometriosis diet and hard to believe almost a month has gone by.  Most days I've followed the plan completely, but I have had a few treats here and there.  I'm definitely starting to see some majors changes from this eating plan.  It's exciting to realize that less than a month is all it takes to see significant improvements in my body and quality life.

1.  I'm definitely slimming down.  
I've only lost 5 pounds, but my clothes fit much differently.  This morning I was able to wear a blazer that was far too tight a few months ago.  Getting lean also means feeling lighter in the gym.  That might be the best benefit, especially when body weight exercises come into play.  And my muscles are starting to pop!  My friend took this back shot of me last night at Jungle Gym, and I couldn't believe the muscle definition!  This is especially encouraging since I feel like it takes me FOREVER to see any muscle on my frame.



2.  I'm sleeping better.
Most nights I can sleep through the night now without pain or discomfort.  I still have the occasional rough night, but this is the exception instead of the rule.  I also fall asleep much sooner.  I used to be wide awake until 11 or midnight.  Now I can fall asleep around 9 or 10.  I wake up each day much more rested.

3.  I barely think about coffee.
I used to need coffee at least twice a day....sometimes three times.  Now, I can drive to work wide awake and make it through the entire day without that hazy fog or need for a nap.  A cup of green tea is all I need, and some days I don't even drink that.  It's amazing to be able to move on from something that was so addicting.  Do I still want it sometimes?  Of course.  But I don't feel like I'm going to die without it.

4.  I've found a good groove of what to eat and when.
I was worried at first that with the approved foods on the list I would feel deprived, or sluggish, or that maybe I would rely too much on high-fat foods like nuts, avocados, etc.  The first week or two I ate A LOT of fat.  It helped me feel full as I was adjusting to the new meal plan.  But now I've found a good balance of protein, carbs, and healthy fats.  My typical day looks something like this:

 


I don't log my food every day, and I don't get too hung up on calories.  My intuition, workouts, and
energy level drive what I eat.  And If I'm hungry, I eat more!  I just stick to the clean, whole foods on my list and make sure I get plenty of veggies and fruit.




5. I don't have to rely on pain meds and ibuprofen.
I used to gobble up ibuprofen like candy, and there were multiple days each month when I couldn't sleep without taking a pain pill.  In the past 26 days, I've only taken a prescription pill one time.  And I barely use ibuprofen.  I still experience some pain, but I'm finding that it's more manageable and doesn't last as long.  This week in the gym, I've been able to get through complete workouts without any issues.  This is a giant step forward for me.

6. That "time of the month" wasn't so terrible.
I'll spare the details here, but let's just say it wasn't as awful as usual.  It's never a picnic, but any improvement is great.


As the first month comes to a close, I'm excited to see what other changes take place and what kind of progress I can make.  It can only get better from here!!



No comments:

Post a Comment