Monday, January 16, 2017

Singing to Journey Makes My Food Taste Better

Cooking is a big deal in our household.  Luckily Steve and I both enjoy it, and in the background we usually have some great music on vinyl.  Tonight's choice was Journey's Greatest Hits.  Crosby, our boxer pup, loves it when I sing to him.  (At least I like to believe he does.)



On the menu was my latest attempt at bringing in an "old school" favorite with a twist.  I'm a big fan of Italian food, and I was desperately craving some of that delicious comfort that only a big bowl of pasta, sauce, and mozzarella cheese can provide.  I had eggplant in the house for another recipe and started to wonder if I could do a spin on Eggplant Parmesan.  I found this recipe for Crispy Baked Eggplant, and I started to think...

This could totally be gluten-free with some tweaks!



I already had gluten-free flour from baking for a friend, and I found these breadcrumbs at Kroger.  They are definitely more course than traditional breadcrumbs, but they coated the eggplant well.  Everything crisped up perfectly, and we paired it with some baby portabella mushrooms, a veggie-filled marinara sauce, and ground chicken meatballs.  I'm so full and happy right now!!!  And I didn't even miss the cheese that would usually top this traditional dish.  It had too much flavor for me to feel like I was missing out!



That's my goal with this meal plan.  I want to do the best I can to clean up my diet and create versions of my favorite foods that will still follow the guidelines.  I'll admit, the past couple days haven't been perfect.  I went out to eat a few times with friends, and last night I watched football at our friends' house and had tortilla chips (cooked in vegetable oil) and one cookie.  But for me, that's pretty impressive.  With a choice of multiple desserts, I only ate ONE cookie!  My saving grace was bringing a homemade chili that was completely on point with my plan.  My husband gave me the idea, and I was so thankful he did.  I was starting to feel frustrated that I wouldn't have many options, but a big bowl of that chili filled me up, and I didn't feel tempted to eat all of the other foods.  Just that delicious cookie!


Every day it's getting a little easier to say "no" to restricted foods and to find ways to eat what's approved.  I still want to enjoy time with friends, and I will still go out to eat.  I can't shut myself away, but I can make a conscious effort to choose what is best for my body when I'm in situations where I don't cook for myself.


So far it seems to be paying off.  I had a rough night Friday, and Saturday I chose to take it easy and didn't work out at all.  But by yesterday morning I was back in the gym, and today I was able to give all I had to a BRUTAL workout full of squats.  Jump squats, split squats, Bulgarian split squats....and even some hexbar deadlifts too.  We worked that booty!!!  It was a love/hate relationship for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment