Sunday, February 12, 2017

Dust Yourself Off and Try Again


This week was a tough one.  Physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.  It started last weekend when I came down with a nasty cold.  Sore throat, congestion, cough, and extreme fatigue.  I felt like I got hit by a bus.  I spent most of Saturday and Sunday sleeping and eating soup or ice cream.  Yep.  Not following my plan at all.  I ate what sounded good or felt better for my throat.  And I just didn't care.

The rest of my week wasn't any better.  Work ramped up and became insane.  Long days, late hours, and lots of travel.  Again, I didn't eat what I should have.  Some personal stuff happened as well, and my stress level skyrocketed.  By Friday night, I was just excited to feel healthy again, and the hubby and I met some friends out at a new restaurant.  I ordered whatever sounded delicious AND had a margarita.  Once again, epic fail.  I missed the gym again on Saturday because of a vet appointment for our dog and errands and projects for the house.  By this point I just felt off.  Way off.  Saturday night I decided I was sick of it.  I went grocery shopping to restock, and I bought only food that fits my plan.  I knew today would be my day to jump back in.

And today felt incredible!  I have no idea how, after the crazy week I had, but I managed to have an amazing workout at ROC Training this morning!  In the midst of sandbag drags, tire drags, bucket carries, hill sprints, tons of burpees and two miles of running...I never felt any pain!  ZERO!!!  Was I tired and winded?  Of course.  But I never felt like I needed to stop or couldn't handle it.  I went at my pace and it felt fantastic.  We also got to practice some grip holds, which were challenging and fun.  I'm getting so excited for my first Spartan race in April, and I'm loving that I feel better.  It gives me hope that I can go out that day and truly do my best.



I see this kind of training as a true metaphor for life.  It's difficult, and sometimes you have to deal with obstacles that try your patience, or make you stumble, or just plain frustrate you.  But when you overcome them, you feel unstoppable, and you realize that they can't hold you back.  Nothing can if you focus, put your heart and mind into it, stay positive, and lean on those around you for motivation and support.  And man, am I glad for the people I get to train with!

Today was also full of meal prep and getting things ready for the work week.  I even tried a new recipe, with plenty of leftovers for lunches.  This Paleo Caribbean Jerk Chicken was phenomenal!  I'm definitely adding it to my meal rotation.


As I sit here on Sunday night, I feel much more prepared for this upcoming week.  And I'm grateful that I had some quiet time to recharge my batteries.  In the midst of sickness and wanting to keep my germs to myself, I was able to spend time on my own in reflection, prayer, reading, and even just going for a walk with the pups.  Sometimes things don't go according to "my" plan, but sometimes it's what needs to happen for me to be right where I am right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment